Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pics of the new Ceramic "D's"

Hi all -

I finally got around to snapping a photo of the new Ceramic "D's" available direct from Primo. I like these things a LOT.

- Mike

Re: Pics of the new Ceramic "D's"

FINALLY some photos!! Thanks for posting. I was debating asking for them for Christmas but wanted to see what they looked like first. And yes, they look just like what I imagined, a couple of big white butt cheeks.

Cool...how much did they cost?....do they come as a pair?

Richard

Yes, they come as a pair, and both plates (including shipping to NC) came to around $90.

Factory direct price for the D-Shaped Plates is $59.95 for the JR and $79.95 for the XL and they are sold as a pair. Some dealers should have them in stock as they were introduced to them with their latest price list. If you do not have a local dealer, feel free to call the factory at 770-729-1110.

I assume you're using them for the same applications you'd use a BGE platesetter for, correct? I've always liked the idea of the platesetter - and I can't believe I'm saying this but I've actually kind of gotten used to using fire bricks and sand filled drip pans.

Yes, I've used them the same way I used a platesetter (I have a large egg as well). It's just a different way to do indirect, and just adds to the Ovals flexibility. What I like most about them is the idea that they pretty much cover the entire fire = less area for hotspots.

I also put little 90 degree copper fittings between the D's (or the setter on the egg) and a drippan to keep air circulating under the pan. Tends to help prevent the water from boiling away so quickly.

Thanks for the info. I can definitely think of a few cooks were it would be nice to have so much indirect coverage. One more question . . do they sit on the drip pan racks?

Quote Originally Posted by howright View Post
    One more question . . do they sit on the drip pan racks?
    Yup!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I need help with the usage of these babies.

I was only using half my firebox and generally cook indirect with just a drip pan on the other side. But I wanted to use the whole cooking surface on one level rather than going with the extended rack on just one side for this cook. Perfect chance to try out one of my new D plates.

I get my fire going and stable at my desired temp (300) for nearly an hour. I then add the D plate on the side where I have the fire going. After 1+ hr my temp is still not back up to 300. Hanging around 250. I get impatient and pull the plate back out and the temp pops back to 300. I get out the extended rack and do it like normal.

What did I do wrong? Did I not wait long enough for the temp to come back up?