We get this question a lot. Shoppers want to know why Primo over BGE, and other competitors.

Both cook superbly. Both are high quality. Most of us older guys started with the Egg before Primo came about. I, an Egg owner knew the power of ceramics, and when Primo came about, I was a skeptic, but bothered to investigate. I asked BGE about inventing something larger,,, and they told me to buy 2 EGGS. Hey,, I considered it because it would be a good investment in great cooking. I loved my Egg.

Primo showed up and I checked out the forum. That was the old forum. But George, the owner of Primo was a member of the forum,, and we shot the 5hit with him,, like we do with each other now. A few of us asked if George could invent a larger grill for us, He said yes if there was enough interest. Well a lot of people said "yes we need a little larger grill, figuring it would just be a larger round. Well, George came up with an oval shape and said if there was enough interest, he would build the molds,, but needed 25 people who were willing to stick their necks out. I was the third one on the list.

The new Primo Ovals rolled off the kilns,, with the names or initials of those first pioneers,, and I got either the first, or second one out the door. I think it was the first, due to timing of the first guy who was to pick his up a couple of days before mine was shipped,,, but I had kinfolk in Alpharetta that were heading to the beach,, and he stopped and George helped him load it into the Suburban. I actually own that Suburban now too. It's a 95 and gets over 21 mpg. Anywhoo,, my Oval arrived with the initials KOC fingered into the dome. I still have it, in original condition, cooks perfectly, and has a cracked firebox.

I now own another Oval,, which has the new ceramic formula firebox,, I think it was the first or first 5,, and George asked me to try to make it crack. I called him probably 5 times when I was heating this baby up,, but he said,, "just go for it,, it's all under warranty, and I want you to try to crack it". I am still using it and it has not cracked. Original Oval has a single crack from top to bottom,, and functions perfectly.

But back to my point.... After my first Primo,, I was just going to add it to my grill area,,, but a friend wanted it. NOPE! I will not sell my Egg. It is part of my family. After a while, I realized I didn't use the Egg at all. It was just sitting there, molding up,, and I didn't need it. I sold it to a friend who begged me for over a year. He is still cooking on it and as pleased as punch.

It's the size and versatility, clear and simple. Had George produced an inferior product,, I would have never given him a second thought. But he made a great product,,,,,,, AND,, was willing to risk a venture on 25 of us. It turned into the best thing he ever did in his life. I feel slightly responsible for that. I was a pioneer that helped him develop the Oval shape grill,,, which is just what meat cuts wanted.