Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pics of the new Ceramic "D's"

They will definitely extend the amount of time it takes for the cooker to come up to temp, as all that mass needs extra time to heat up. Did you open the vents any extra to compensate, or just put them in at 300 and waited ? Seems in the past (with the setter on the egg, haven't tried with the D's) if I added the ceramic after the fire was going, I opened it up for a few minutes to get the fire really hot, then stopped right before I hit temp.

Note: I usually add them when I light the coals, both vents wide open til I get about 25 degrees below target, then adjust accordingly.

No i didn't adjust the vents. I was afraid to get the fire running too hot.

I also considered putting the plates in when I started the fire but didn't know which way was correct. Maybe that is what I will try next time.

Another question for the group. When using firebricks, these D plates or other barriers, when do you put in the wood for smoke?

I don't have my "D" plates yet, but when I use the firebricks, I put them over the fire after I light it and then I usually just move one or two out of the way to put a few chunks on top of the fire. I have also mixed some chunks in with the lump before lighting and just lit the lump in close proximity to the chunks and the fire eventually makes it way to the goodies about the time I am ready for the meat. I look forward to experimenting with the plates.The half-height bricks are nice, but they don't cover the whole area (unless you cut them to shape).

Quote Originally Posted by Charcoal Mike View Post
    Hi all -

I finally got around to snapping a photo of the new Ceramic "D's" available direct from Primo. I like these things a LOT.

- Mike

I'm wondering, how thick are the D plates? They appear to be thinner than the fire bricks. They do look like the cat's meow

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I'm wondering, how thick are the D plates?
    Hey there Lynne. They are much thinner than I expected (a good thing) - this is a dime.

Hey there Lynne. They are much thinner than I expected (a good thing) - this is a dime.

Thanks Charcoal Mike, sounds great. Now I just need my dealer to get them in, I don't even think the wholesaler here will have them yet. They will likely wait until spring to bring them in with their order, ahhhhh something to look forward to

OregonBoy,

I have done about 15 cooks using both D-plates on my large oval. What I have found is that my vent settings needs to have a larger opening than cooking indirect or with some fire brick setups to maintain a desired temp. I attribute this to the fact of the airflow is restricted somewhat when using both D-plates (about 1 1/2" for air to move around the plates). Just my

Kendall

Now I just need my dealer to get them in
    Save the tax and just order them direct. I think shipping was only $10 or so.

Save the tax and just order them direct. I think shipping was only $10 or so.
    I thought about ordering direct but some times things get charged all sorts of taxes, handling fees, etc. They will get me coming across the US/Can. border and will charge the tax for sure, then if there is a broker involved they will charge their fee which can be sustantial.

I thought about ordering direct but some times things get charged all sorts of taxes, handling fees, etc. They will get me coming across the US/Can. border and will charge the tax for sure, then if there is a broker involved they will charge their fee which can be sustantial.

Lynne,

Why don't you send Char Mike a check + transit to the north, have him buy them and send them to you as a Cmas present?