Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pics of the new Ceramic "D's"

Now there's an idea I like but Mike might not then again if Mike is the great sport I know he is he might just send them as a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I thought about ordering direct but some times things get charged all sorts of taxes, handling fees, etc. They will get me coming across the US/Can. border and will charge the tax for sure, then if there is a broker involved they will charge their fee which can be sustantial.

Here is what I have gleaned using UPS.

UPS will not charge a brokerage fee if the item has a value of less then $20 CDN. I have recently bought several items from the US and had the retailer mark the invoice with less then $20 and NEVER have I paid any fee..not even GST or PST. I ask the retailer to invoice me less for the item (make it $18.50) but make up the difference (charge me more) on the shipping cost...in the end they still receive the same amount of $$$. I would not try this if the item was over $30-$40.....they may get wise.

Items with a value of $60 CDN or less can be shipped UPS or USPS to you from the USA from a private individual/friend/family member(not a business) as long as the package is marked "Gift" on the Customs sticker. Also the package can contain multiple items as long as each item has a value of $60 CDN or less....no brokerage fess or taxes will be charged.

The nice thing here is that you get your item from the USA in 6 days or less....you can track it!....AND its usually cheaper then USPS....where as using USPS/Canada Post, you can wait several weeks for it to arrive....especially now at Christmas.

Lynne, the best scenario would be if someone on the forum picked them up directly from Primo and then sent them to you via UPS.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Canada-amp-U...00000000067340

As of May of this year, the USPS raised considerably the shipping rates to Canada. If you go oline to the UPS web site: http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US you can determine cost and transit time of packages.

just my $0.02 worth...
    Last edited by richard; 12-11-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Now there's an idea I like but Mike might not then again if Mike is the great sport I know he is he might just send them as a surprise
    Lynne you have PM.

Thanks a bundle for that info Richard, we may be cooking with fire here

Lynne - If it saves you any money, I would be happy to go by the Mother Ship and buy you some D's. I would have to pay 7% or 8% sales tax and frankly I understood nothing of that stuff about shipping UPS to Canada, so I don't know if it will save you anything. I don't live that far away from the factory and I want to look at the D's anyway. I am still using the saucer for my terra cotta clay pot.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenQ'in View Post
    Lynne - If it saves you any money, I would be happy to go by the Mother Ship and buy you some D's. I would have to pay 7% or 8% sales tax and frankly I understood nothing of that stuff about shipping UPS to Canada, so I don't know if it will save you anything. I don't live that far away from the factory and I want to look at the D's anyway. I am still using the saucer for my terra cotta clay pot.

Ben
    Thanks Ben, that's quite an offer! I'll PM you.

Got my plates today and I LIKE 'EM!!

I fired up the Jr to make a meatloaf tonight and figured it was as good as time as any to get using them. I put the plates in right after I got the fire going and it didn't seem to affect the time it took to get up to temperature much at all. Well . . . but then again as I've posted before my Jr tends to want to go atomic on me as soon as I walk away so maybe he isn't the best test subject. I ordered the plates for the Xl and can't wait to try them out on her this weekend.

I see myself using the plates A LOT!! They sure are easy enough to use and are a great alternative to the firebox divider (which I never use) and also the indirect drip pan set up because they cover more surface area. Definitely another great product and I'm sure the plates will change the way I cook -- so thanks Primo!!

What are the D's for, Mike, other than pizza??

Quote Originally Posted by dixiecal View Post
    What are the D's for, Mike, other than pizza??
    They are used as a "baffle" for indirect cooks. In other words it will allow you to use the whole cooker for indirect cooking, versus just a portion of it. They are worth every penny!!

I agree with Larry that they are worth it. Here is a pic where I used one of them for an indirect cook. I very rarely use the whole grill for direct cooking so the one you see in there usually stays there. The sit on the drip racks and allow for good airflow all the way around them. And YES I do have a lot of wood in there, but I like it SMOKEY (and have an unlimited supply).